Yield: 12 servings
¾ cup (170 g) butter, softened
¾ cup (170 g) sugar
1+¼ cup (140 g) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (60 g) finely ground almonds
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons boiling water
Ingredients for frosting
½ cup (110 g) butter
1½ tablespoon water
8 oz (225 g) icing sugar
1½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C).
- Line a 9 inch (23 cm) cake tin with greaseproof or other non-stick paper and grease the tin.
- Beat the softened butter with sugar.
- Add one egg at a time, mix well between each egg.
- Mix with flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla extract, and finely ground almonds.
- Add 5 tablespoons of boiling water and mix well.
- Bake at 350 degrees until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, ca. 40-50 minutes.